Search for Articles
International Journal of Clinical Medicine and Bioengineering
ISSN:2737-534X
Frequency: Quarterly Published by lIKll


Open Access Research Paper
 IJCMB 2022/03
Vol.2, Iss.1 : 27-32
https://doi.org/10.35745/ijcmb2022v02.01.0005

Implementation of a Four-Class Motor Imagery Brain Computer Interface Using Long Short-Term Memory Neural Network


Hao-Teng Hsu1*, Kuo-Kai Shyu1 and Po-Lei Lee1

1Department of Electrical Engineering, National Central University, No. 300, Jhongda Rd., Jongli District, Taoyuan City 32001, Taiwan

Received:N/A; Revised:N/A; Accepted:N/A; Published:March 30, 2022
Abstract:
We have developed multi-channel dry-electrode electroencephalography (EEG) system to implement a brain computer interface (BCI) and discriminate four-class motor imagery signals. The EEG channels recorded from Fz, F3, F4, C3, Cz, C4, P3, and P4 positions, according to the international 10‒20 EEG system, were acquired and wirelessly transmitted to a personal computer. Five subjects were recruited to perform right hand, left hand, right foot, and left foot imagery movements with 60 trials in each movement type. EEG data were segmented into epochs from 0 to 8 s and anchored to time points of imagery movement cues. The segmented EEG epochs were pre-processed using the Morlet wavelet. A long short-term memory (LSTM) neural network with 64 LSTM cells was constructed to discriminate EEG signals recorded from different imagery movements. Among total EEG epochs, 80% were randomly chosen as training data and the rest 20% were used as validation data. The detection accuracy reached 89%.

Keywords:  Brain computer interface (BCI), Long short-term memory (LSTM) neural network, Motor imagery movement

Download PDF
*Corresponding author; e-mail: fifaworld91@g.ncu.edu.tw


Citation:Hsu, H.T.; Shyu, K.K.; Lee, P.L.Implementation of a Four-Class Motor Imagery Brain Computer Interface Using Long Short-Term Memory Neural Network. International Journal of Clinical Medicine and Bioengineering 2022, 2, 27-32. https://doi.org/10.35745/ijcmb2022v02.01.0005

129 Views 62 Downloads

Copyright: © 2022  The Author(s). Published with license by IIKII, Singapore. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
 

Back